Wednesday 18 February 2015

WOW: Collectible Sewing Kits

WOW = WIPs On Wednesday

Today is an unusual WOW in that I'm not doing any sewing. I'm instead sorting through some boxes in the garage as we are having a garage sale. I think I have been downsizing for the last 5 years, it's just so hard. But other than that, its just so time consuming. But even so, some decisions are easier than others. Take for example my bag of sewing kits. I don't know why I even have so many. I guess its a bit like having hundreds of matchboxes back when everyone handed out little matchboxes wherever you went. That doesn't happen nowadays, but I can remember when it did. I think my sewing kit collection grew in the same way.

This is a basic sewing kit, it's rather pointless as it doesn't actually include a needle.
whereas this one has a fat needle that would puncture rather than sew your clothes
this is the deluxe version as it has 3 needles, 3 sizes of safety pin and even a press stud
the rest are all exactly the same, except for their different cardboard covers. I really wonder if anyone ever uses sewing kits. Did they ever? I know having hundreds of these in a bag is completely pointless and yet I think they're rather cute and don't really want to part with them. But I will.I definitely will. 

What's Your WOW ?

12 comments:

  1. How ironic you mentioned this...a local quilter I know just sent her daughter in college a Harry Potter-ish sewing kit she put together. Her daughter needed another kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are some of those kits lurking in my basement somewhere. I pretty certain there's one in my desk drawer at work complete with a useless pair of scissors. They are very tiny and as I recall won't actually cut the thread in the kit. :). The safety pin came in useful though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few of those, too. I have used them on occasion, mainly when I was in college and needed to fix a hem or add a button. Not so, recently. I've been downsizing for three years now, and yes, it is so hard to let go. Best of luck, Esther, with the yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, why does downsizing take so long?! I feel like downsizing is my permanent part time job, I'm exhausted!

      Delete
  4. I always bring these to work with me. The kids at school love these for sewing projects. The always seems to be losing the needles anyway. No fancy stuff needed! Maybe a school or a charity like Salvation Army could use them?
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I was thinking of throwing them out. But now I'm glad you've thought of this. I'll take my sack down to my local Salvo's and see if they can get any use out of them, thank you :) I feel better letting them go now...

      Delete
  5. Well done for mentally releasing them! I find it hard to let anything related to my crafting hobbies - however tenuous the link - difficult to release. I'm trying to get better at it.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Decluttering is pretty on par with de-stashing. It's slow going in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember these. They really did hand them out in a time gone by. I still love them. I've even managed to get a few more modern ones now that come in little tins...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even want to talk about getting ready for a yard sale but it's something that I really need to do! Our garage is already pretty full of yard sale items. I severely need to go through my craft room and bag of things I can put out for sale. Maybe, just maybe, your post will motivate me to actually get started on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's dreadful, I'm sick of it already and its taken me forever. I can't wait to be free of all my extra things.

      One great sewing machine, a small stash and the necessities ...that's the goal anyhow!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...